3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
3/4 cup Green Valley Organics Lactose-Free Butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbsp. cold water
3/4 cup Green Valley Organics Lactose-Free Sour Cream, cold
1/3 cup chopped chives, or fresh herbs of your choice
3/4 cup big crumbles of Redwood Hill Farm feta cheese
1 egg beaten for egg wash
coarse sea salt, cracked black pepper, and smoky paprika for topping
- Place a rack in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and black pepper. Cut in butter (using your fingers or a pastry cutter) until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- In another bowl, combine egg, sour cream, and water. Beat lightly with a fork.
- Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft and shaggy dough. Add the chives and feta and dump mixture on a clean counter to knead the dough together. The mixture will come together in about 10 to 15 kneads.
- Roll or pat out into a 1-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds using a biscuit cutter or cut into 4” squares, and again in half to make triangles. Re-shape and roll excess scraps of dough to create more biscuits. Place on prepared baking sheet, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sea salt, black pepper, and smoky paprika.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm. These biscuits are best eaten the day they’re made, but will last up to 2 days.