Carrot & Celery Slaw with Yogurt Dressing»
Holiday Brunch Strata Egg Bake»
Honey Lemon Yogurt Gluten-Free Gingerbread Trifle»
- Beef Stroganoff With Yogurt and Dill »
- Kefir Cornbread »
Peanut Butter Chocolate Parfait»
Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free Holiday Brunch Blintzes»
The Best Waffle Recipe»
Chocolate Zucchini Cake»
Apricot & Habanero Rice Fritters with Sour Cream Escarole»
Chicken With Yogurt and Mustard»
Dried Cherry Scones»
Yogurt Parfait With Crumbled Gingersnaps»
Summer Sunshine Salad»
Greek Style Yogurt»
- Kefir Pistachio Squares »
Red Onion and Russet Potato Latkes with Cinnamon Apple Sour Cream»
Lemon Kefir Cookies»
Raspberry Basil Macadamia Waffles»
Balsamic Strawberry Preserve and Creamy Yogurt Cheese Crostini»
- Raspberry Yogurt Cheese w/ Gingersnaps »
Potato Skins with Sauteed Vegetables and Sour Cream»
Fresh Cherry Sour Cream Coffee Cake»
Butternut Squash with Sour Cream»
Zesty Pear Blueberry Crisp»
Heart-Shaped Blini with Smoked Salmon and Lemon Caper Sour Cream»
Kefir Sabayon & Butterscotch Bananas»
Caramelized Onion and Sherried Mushroom Holiday Dip»
Creamy Parsnip and Potato Mash with Garlic and Rosemary»
Sour Cream Apple Puff»
Summer Fresh Kefir Dip»
Creamy Chipotle Chicken»
Creamy Green Tea Corn Soup»
Sour Cream Pumpkin Bundt Cake»
Sweet & Salty Chai Lassi»
Lime-n-Garlic Flank Steak with Creamy Pico de Gallo»
Classic Oven "Fried" Chicken Strips with Homemade Ranch Dipping Sauce»
Zucchini Soup w/ Cinnamon, Cumin & Kefir»
Basil Sour Cream Dressing»
Herbed Sour Cream Blue Cheese Dip»
Mac N Cheese»
Meatballs in Sour Cream Sauce»
Caramel Sour Cream Upside Down Cake»
Yogurt Cheese Pierogi»
Lactose Free Holiday Eggnog»
Double-Dip Dairy Yogurt "Ice Cream"»
Beef Stroganoff with Tarragon and Nutmeg»
Hungarian Chicken Paprika»
Butterscotch Sour Cream Pie»
Chicken Tinga Tacos»
Chilled Avocado Soup»
Old-Fashioned Brandied Pumpkin Pie»
Sour Cream and Veggie Baked Pasta»
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Cherry Vanilla Yogurt Sauce»
Quinoa-Kale Salad with Kefir-Cumin Dressing»
Individual Tres Leches Cakes»
Three Great Kefir Smoothies»
Mix-and-Match Smoothie Chart»
Easter Canapes with Parmesan Crisps»
Lemon Kefir Sherbet»
Lemon Kefir Sherbet»
MEATBALLS IN SOUR CREAM SAUCE
- ¾ lb ground lean beef
- ¾ lb ground lean pork
- 2 Tbsp. breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped shallot
- ½ tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup Green Valley Organics sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dry dill weed
- 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
1. So that they can be chilled, prepare the meat balls at least an hour before you plan to cook them. They are less likely to crumble and lose their shape when they are fried.
2. Soak the crumbs in the four Tbsp. of cream for 5 minutes, then put them in a large mixing bowl with the ground meats.
3. Melt the 2 T. butter in a small frying pan and sauté chopped onion, shallots and garlic over Moderate heat for 5 min., or until softened. Add them to the mixing bowl and at the same time add the grated lemon rind, parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme.
4. Beat eggs lightly with a fork and pour them over the meat. With a large spoon, beat this mixture vigorously until the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
5. Form into small balls, about an inch in diameter.
6. Place the meat balls on a baking sheet or platter lined with wax paper. Cover them with another sheet of waxed paper, and chill for at least an hour.
7. When you are ready to cook the meatballs, melt the 3 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. oil over high heat in a large heavy frying pan.
8. After a couple of minutes, turn the heat down to moderate, and cook the balls 6-7 minutes longer, or until they are crisp brown all over and cooked through. With a slotted spoon, transfer the finished meatballs to a shallow casserole and continue with the remaining meatballs until they are all cooked.
9. Make the sauce in the same frying pan. Pour off all but 3 Tbsp. of fat.
10. Off the heat, with a wooden spoon, stir into the pan 2 Tbsp. of flour and mix it to a smooth paste with the fat. Return the pan to a low heat and cook this roux slowly for a minute or so, stirring all the while. Pour the cup of stock in pan. Raise the heat to moderate and, with a wire whisk, beat this sauce together until it boils, thickens and becomes quite smooth. Then turn the heat down to the barest simmer. Still using the whisk, stir the sour cream into the sauce, about a Tbsp. at a time. Use more than ½ cup if you like the sauce fairly thin. At the last, add the fresh dill, lemon juice, salt to taste and cayenne. Pour the sauce over the meatballs in the casserole.
11. When you are ready to serve them, reheat the meatballs slowly without letting the sauce boil.
12. Serve them directly from the casserole, sprinkled with a little extra fresh dill if you have it.