This recipe for molasses cookies has all the spice and everything nice in one delicious cookie. They're soft, chewy, flavorful, creamy and totally lactose-free. Pro tips for the best cookies ever include using our lactose-free butter and the middle oven rack, turning the tray half way through, and a sprinkle of black pepper- who knew!?Green Valley Creamery
2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1½ teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free butter, softened but still cool
⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar (about 2½ ounces)
⅓ cup granulated sugar plus ½ cup for rolling the dough
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup dark molasses
1 . Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place ½ cup sugar for dipping in shallow bowl.
2. Whisk flour , baking soda, spices, and salt in medium bowl until thoroughly combined; set aside.
3. In standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment , beat butter with brown and granulated sugars at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add egg yolk and vanilla; increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds .Reduce speed to medium-low and add molasses; beat until fully incorporated, scraping bottom and sides of bowl once with spatula. Reduce speed to lowest setting; add flour mixture and beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds, scraping bowl down once. Give dough final stir with spatula to ensure that no pockets of flour remain at bottom. Dough will be soft.
4. Using tablespoon measure, scoop heaping tablespoon of dough and roll between palms into ball ; drop ball into cake pan with sugar and repeat to form a ball. Toss balls in sugar to coat and set on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are browned, still puffy and edes have begun to set but centers are still soft. Cookie will look raw between cracks and seem underdone, about 10 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking.
6. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire rack; cool cookies to room temperature and serve.