There’s nothing better than a warm tray of traditional sugar cookies to put the whole house in the holiday spirit. These delightful cookies have been a favorite for generations and now we’ve recreated the recipe with lactose-free butter. They’re so easy to make, and kids love to help with the cookie cutters, glazing, and decorations.Green Valley Creamery
For the cookie dough:
1 cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter (1 block), room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp. baking powder
For the glaze:
1 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tsps. lemon juice
Gel food coloring – optional (available at any good kitchen store)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place butter, sugar and vanilla extract inside the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined, approximately 30 seconds.
- Add egg and mix until well combined. Add flour and baking powder, and mix until a smooth dough forms. Take dough out of the bowl and shape into a large disk; wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
- Cut disk into two equally-sized pieces. Roll out, one at a time, to approx. ¼ inch thick. Cut cookies with cookie cutters and place on lined cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies for 6-8 minutes until light brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely. While the cookies are cooling, prepare the glaze.
- Sift powdered sugar into a medium-sized bowl. Add 1 tsp. of lemon juice and stir with a whisk until evenly distributed. Add more lemon juice, only drops at a time, until the glaze has the right consistency. It should stay on the back of a teaspoon without dripping off.
- If you are using food coloring, separate the glaze into different bowls and add one drop of coloring to each. Mix well, and keep adding small amounts of coloring until desired color is reached. Decorate cookies with a spoon, brush or finger (this is easier for kids!).