Biscuits and Gravy, surely there's nothing better for comforting the soul than this Southern Classic. What's not comforting? Feeling like you just ate the dairy usually used to make it so very rich, creamy and delicious. We perfected a version that leaves you feeling light as a feather in spirit and body.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ stick cold Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cultured Butter, cut into pieces
1 ¼ cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Plain Kefir
SAUSAGE GRAVY INGREDIENTS
1 lb. breakfast sausage (meat or veggie sausage both work great), hot or mild
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups lactose-free whole milk
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
2 teaspoons black pepper, more to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Add cold butter pieces and pulse until butter is completely cut into the flour mixture. While pulsing slow drizzle in the kefir until the dough comes together and is no longer crumbly.
- Drop biscuits dough into a clump on two baking sheets, then bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter when biscuits first come out of the oven.
- Place sausage into a large skillet. Breakdown sausage in smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle half of the flour over the sausage and stir in. Add in the remainder of the flour, and continue to stir until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Pour in lactose- free milk, stirring constantly
- Cook the gravy for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring frequently until it thickens.
- Sprinkle in seasoning salt and pepper and continue to cooking until very thick. If it gets too thick too soon, add ½ cup of lactose-free milk or more if needed.