These just might be the perfect melt-in-your-mouth cookies: buttery, sweet, and delightfully crumbly. The touch of lavender takes the traditional shortbread cookie to the next level. Fill up a small box with these for a sweet homemade gift for the holidays.Green Valley Creamery
8 oz. all-purpose flour
2 3/4 oz. superfine sugar
One vanilla pod
1-2 tsp. lavender
5 1/2 oz. Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter (about 1 block), room temperature
1 3/4 oz. granulated sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the superfine sugar.
- Using a sharp knife, slit the vanilla pod open lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the tip of the knife. Add the seeds and the lavender to the bowl, along with the butter.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients. As the mixture begins to come together, use your hands to help it form a dough (alternatively you could also use an electric mixer with the paddle attachment on low speed to make the dough.)
- Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it slightly. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into 15 oblongs and place them on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the baking sheet around and continue baking for 10 minutes, until the shortbread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and dust with an even coating of granulated sugar. Leave on the baking sheet to cool.
Adapted from French Laundry’s Shortbread recipe.