Inspired by the Southern tradition of buttermilk pie, our lactose-free, lemony, custard version has a lovely balance of sweet and sour and comes with an all-butter, flaky crust that gently hugs the creamy filling. There is familiarity but also an elegance to the look and flavor of this very simple pie that will please a wide range of holiday guests, from picky children to sophisticated foodies.
For all butter crust:
- 1 stick Green Valley Lactose-Free Butter
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3-4 Tbsps very cold water
- 1 egg, slightly beaten for egg wash (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Meyer lemons, zest and juice
- 3 Tbsp flour, sifted
- ¼ cup lactose-free butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups Green Valley Lactose-Free Plain Kefir
- Cut butter into ½ inch pieces, place on a plate and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, mix butter, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add frozen butter cubes and pulse up to 10 times until the butter pieces are about pea size.
- Transfer butter flour mixture to a large bowl.
- Add ice water, two tablespoons at a time, and use your hands and fingertips to lightly “fluff” it into the dough until just combined. The dough is ready when it holds together, even if a few crumbles fall off.
- Decant dough onto a flat work surface and knead gently, 3-6 times.
- Shape into a disc about 7 inches in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.
Filling and pie:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix sugar and flour in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together eggs, sugar and flour mix, melted butter, and lemon zest and stir until no clumps remain.
- Roll out the dough, place in a 9inch metal or cast-iron pan and crimp border. Carefully apply the egg wash to the border, being careful not to let it drip onto the pan.
- Stir kefir into to egg mix and then add the lemon juice, mix until just combined.
- Pour liquid mix into the unbaked pie crust and carefully place on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes until set and slightly browned on the top.
- Let cool completely before serving.