A delicious and flavorful cake made with sweet potatoes, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Sour cream is the key to making this super moist and creamy. Topped with Salted Cream Cheese Frosting for a perfect combination. If you want something even more decadent, drizzle it with caramel sauce.Green Valley Creamery
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
2 sticks Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter, at room temperature
1.5 cups packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes, cooled (about 4 sweet potatoes)
1 cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Sour cream
1 stick Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter
8 oz. Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cream Cheese
3 cups confectioner sugar
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with baking parchment and butter the top of those too.
- In a large bowl, sift and whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium-high for 4-5 minutes until creamy, stopping to scrape down bowl at least twice. Gradually add beaten eggs. Beat on medium-high for 1-2 minutes until fluffy, scraping down bowl as needed. Add vanilla and sweet potatoes and beat until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture in thirds, adding in half the sour cream after the first and second third. Beat on low speed until just incorporated, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake at 350-degrees F for 35- 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- While cakes are baking, make the frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter in a bowl with a mixer on high speed until smooth and creamy, about one minute. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and beat frosting for 3 minutes. Frosting should be thick and creamy.
- Place a cake on a large plate. Spread one half of frosting on top. Set another cake on top and frost with remaining frosting. Serve and enjoy. Pro tip: for clean slices, chill 3 hours before slicing.