This mac and cheese bake is an absolute treat. It gets thick and creamy from our butter and kefir and golden brown and toasty on top. We have a veggie version for those of you craving some green in your life. For the rest of us, there's a version to go all in on comfort and focus on the cheese. Made with Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cheddar Cheese, Lightly Salted Butter and Whole Milk Kefir, this is a dairy lover's delight. For a spicy kick, try adding our Pepper Jack Cheese. We almost forgot - it's totally lactose-free. It tastes so good you'll forget too.Green Valley Creamery
3 cups dried macaroni noodles
2 cups cauliflower florets (optional)
2 cups broccoli florets (optional)
4 Tbsp Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves fresh crushed garlic
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1.5 cups Green Valley Creamery Lactose Free Whole Milk Kefir
1 tsp salt
3 cups Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Mild Cheddar Cheese (~ 1.5 bars or 2 bags shredded) - Combine with our
Pepper Jack for a kick!
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish and set aside.
2. Add pasta to a large pot of salted boiling water and cook according to directions on package. If using veggies, cook for cook 4-5 minutes then add cauliflower and cook for 4 more minutes. Add broccoli and cook for another 4 minutes or until pasta is aldente, for a total of 12-15 minutes. Drain pasta and vegetables well and run under cold water.
3. In a large skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden and fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add crushed garlic and stir for another minute.
4. Reduce heat and sprinkle flour over onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes on gentle heat until flour is lightly browned. Gently whisk in kefir and salt. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until thickened (5 minutes).
5. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cheese, 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs and set mixture aside. Melt 2 Tbsp of butter and pour on top and set aside.
6. Add remaining 2.5 cups of cheese to skillet and cook gently on very low heat until cheese melts (2-3 minutes).
7. Add pasta and veggies to cheese sauce in skillet. Gently fold together and transfer to your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheese, breadcrumb and butter mixture on top.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until the top is crispy and golden.