What’s more all-American than apple pie?! How about this red, white and blue berry pie! Red strawberries, white yogurt crust, and blue-ish blackberries. Whether you’re planning a picnic, party or cozy meal at home - you deserve a little pie and boy do we have delicious fillings recipes for you, below. Tuck in!Green Valley Creamery
1 ¼ cups of flour
1 egg yolk
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil
1 ½ cup fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
½ cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
4-5 tablespoons of Green Valley Creamery lactose-free whole milk yogurt
- Add salt, flour, and 1 tbsp sugar in a mixing bowl, and turn on low for a few seconds. Then add in the coconut oil - keeping the mixer on low speed - until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, for about 45 seconds.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the egg yolk and Green Valley Creamery yogurt until silky smooth. Add this mixture to the mixer bowl with the rest of the ingredients, staying on low speed, for about 15 seconds.
- Then you will shape the mixture with your hands into a ball and place it on a floured surface to spread into a large circle shape. Then roll out the dough, until it is about 1.5 inches larger than your pie plate. We prefer to use a 9-inch pie pan.
- Then place the dough into the pie plate and trim its edges. Crimp edges as you’d like, all the way around. Roll out the extra dough and cut into strips to use as your topping.
- Be sure to freeze the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking to get it nice and solid.
- Mix the cornstarch and sugar in a large bowl. Add the fruit and toss until the fruit is evenly coated. Let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Fill the pie crust with your fruit mixture and then lay the strips of dough on top, tucking the ends between the crust and the pie plate.
- We recommend adding a layer of aluminum foil over the outer edge of the crust to help keep it from burning.
- Bake for 20 minutes with the foil, and then remove and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.