Latkes? So addictive! It’s never enough to eat just one. It takes at least three or four to satisfy that crunchy potato craving – of which there are rarely leftovers. These are even better when topped with sour cream and homemade, cinnamon-fragrant applesauce. Maybe it’s a good thing that they only come around once a year at Hanukkah or another holiday. Nonetheless, whether at Sunday family dinner or the special holiday, this classic is now back in your life, with the extra indulgence of the (completely lactose-free) creamy topping.Shared by Green Valley Lactose Free
1 (12 oz.) container Green Valley Lactose-Free Sour Cream
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar or 1 Tbsp. agave nectar, to taste
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and grated
1 large carrot grated
1 medium zucchini grated
1 medium onion grated
2 large eggs
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon thyme leaves fresh
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup olive oil
To make the Cinnamon Apple Sour Cream:
- Mix sour cream, applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together.
- Add brown sugar or agave nectar to taste.
- Put in fridge and set aside
To make the Latkes:
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a large baking sheet with paper towels.
- Combine potatoes, carrot, zucchini, onion, eggs, flour, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; mix well.
- Heat both the canola and olive oils in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working 1 at a time, take a 1/3 cup potato mixture and form into a 3-inch diameter latke; repeat. Add 4 latkes to the skillet and cook until golden brown, 4-4 1/2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining 8 latkes.
- Serve with Cinnamon Apple Sour Cream!