The rumors you’ve heard about zucchini as a dessert silver bullet? They’re all true. Our finance wizard and in-house cult baker, Darlene, makes this delicious recipe at the peak of zucchini season. If you’re looking for moist, rustic, doubly-chocolatey comfort-food - chock full of a healthful and annoyingly abundant vegetable – this one’s for you. Top this cake simply with sifted powdered sugar or with your favorite buttercream or cream cheese frosting.Submitted by Darlene Brazil
1/2 cup Green Valley Lactose-Free Butter or 3/8 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup Green Valley Lactose-Free Plain Kefir
1 tsp. white vinegar
2 1/2 cup unbleached flour
4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Grease & flour two 9” cake pans.
- Mix vinegar into kefir.
- Cream butter, oil, and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla and kefir.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Blend sifted mixture into creamed mixture. Add zucchini.
- Pour batter into pans; sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top.
- Bake for 45 min. at 325 degrees.