These tender muffins are nothing short of cozy and sweet with a touch of tartness. The creamy kefir in the batter makes these muffins perfectly moist and elevates them from any ordinary breakfast or dessert. The center pocket filled with lemon custard and blackberry jam adds just the right amount of flavor to every bite.Helen Lentze, Forestville
For the muffins:
6 oz. Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter (or 3/4 block)
½ cup fine sugar
½ cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Plain Kefir
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
For the lemon custard:
1/2 cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Sour Cream
3 Tbsp. lemon curd (Trader Joe’s brand works really well)
1 lemon – zest and juice
2 tsp. corn starch – divided
3 Tbsp. high-quality blackberry jam
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line cupcake tray with cupcake paper cups (for a total of 12 pieces). Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- With a hand mixer, beat butter gently until light and fluffy. Add sugar and combine.
- Add one egg at a time and blend in until just combined. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add one third of the flour mix to the butter-egg mixture and blend in. Add half of the kefir and combine. Continue to add and mix, alternating the flour with the kefir, ending with the last third of the flour mix.
- Equally spread the batter into the muffin cups. Spread batter in the muffin cups with the back of a small spoon and create a little dip in the middle of each.
- To make the custard, squeeze the lemon juice into a small pan and add 1 tsp of corn starch. Dissolve corn starch and bring to a boil until it is bubbly and has thickened. Set aside to cool.
- With a hand whisk, gently combine sour cream, lemon curd, lemon zest, remaining 1 tsp of corn starch and thickened lemon juice until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Spoon 1 tsp of blackberry jam into each of the dips in the muffins. Top each muffin off with the lemon custard, either by piping a swirl or just using two teaspoons.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes until risen nicely and golden brown.
- Cool and decorate with powdered sugar before serving.