This recipe is what happens when apple crumble meets apple pie. When you could have both, why pick one? Start with your favorite crust recipe and a nice flavorful apple. We love Pink Lady Apples in this recipe, but Granny Smiths are a close second. Add a perfectly spiced cinnamon sugar mixture, and a dot of our lactose-free butter. But the topping is the star of the show- oats, lightly salted butter, brown sugar and flour make a thick, creamy, salty and sweet filling. Each bite of pie is filled with your favorite crust, tart and sweet cooked apples and rich buttery topping.Green Valley
9-inch unbaked pie crust
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T. Flour
2 lbs. apples (Granny Smith or Pink Lady), peeled and cored
2 T. Green Valley Lactose-Free Butter, soft
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. grated lemon grind
1 1/4 cup Green Valley Lactose-Free Butter
1 1/4 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
- Make a 9 inch crust your favorite lactose-free pie crust recipe. We love the crust in our Bourbon Pecan recipe https://greenvalleylactosefree… (Or buy an unbaked 9″ pie shell – the rest of this recipe is so good that we give you permission to cheat on the crust).
- Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, lemon rind, lemon juice, vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp flour.
- Slice peeled and cored apples, 1/4 inch thick. Evenness in thickness ensures evenness in cooking.
- In the crust put a layer of sliced apples and then a layer of the sugar-cinnamon mixture until all the apples are used. End with the sugar mixture. Dot with 2 Tbsp butter.
- In a small pot on low to medium heat over the stove, mix together the topping ingredients. Don’t let the butter get completely melted but to the point where all the ingredients are blended well and a thick topping can be spread over the pie layers.
- Spoon the topping over pie filling and spread evenly over the top all the way to the crust making sure all apples are covered.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then 350 for 40-45 minutes. Topping should be golden brown. Allow the pie to cool for 3 full hours at room temperature before serving to allows the filling to thicken. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired. Cover pie leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.