In a move that would earn props from any personal trainer, fiberful parsnips added to traditional mashed potatoes deliver a righteous 10 grams of fiber per serving. A tummy-taming pour of Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Kefir adds creaminess, a delightful tang and a beneficial probiotic boost. Try our tempting add-ons to take this showstopper over the top.Shared by Green Valley Creamery
4 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 lbs. parsnips, peeled and chopped
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 cloves garlic, peeled
3 Tbsp. Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter
1 cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Plain Kefir
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Marvelous Mix-Ins and Toppers (choose one or more)
1/4 cup fresh minced chives
1/4 cup chopped parsley mixed with 1 Tbs. lemon zest
1/3 cup walnuts sautéed in olive oil, salt and black pepper
1/2 cup crispy shallots
4 strips crisp apple wood-smoked bacon, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced greens (kale, spinach, chard) sautéed with garlic
2/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers, green olives and capers
- Place potatoes and parsnips in a large pot, cover with cold water and add rosemary, garlic and a generous teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes and parsnips are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables, discard rosemary and place vegetables back in the pot and cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes to remove any excess moisture.
- Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher or pastry blender. For an extra smooth mash, press through a potato ricer or food mill.
- Stir in buttery spread until it melts, then stir in kefir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and more black pepper.
PER SERVING: 326 CAL; 7G PROT; 6G TOTAL FAT 2G SAT. FAT); 58G CARB; 2MG CHOL; 76MG SOD; 10G FIBER; 10G SUGARS