A lactose-free twist on a Southern classic. Knowing how moist and delicious our kefir is when swapped for buttermilk in many baking recipes, we wanted to test it out for cornbread muffins to be enjoyed with some chili. Plus baking with our Sour Cream adds a rich flavor and creamy texture. Both were perfect additions to these perfect lactose-free treats. We will be adding this recipe as a friends-and-family favorite from now on!
Recipe Note: This recipe calls for Green Valley Creamery Sour Cream. While Sour Cream makes these muffins exceptionally creamy and moist, you can substitute Whole Milk Greek Yogurt if you have it on hand.
2 cups yellow cornmeal, to be divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/4 cups Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Plain Whole Milk Kefir
1 cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Plain Sour Cream (or Whole Milk Greek Yogurt)
8 tablespoons Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cultured Butter, melted and cooled slightly
4 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
Extra Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cultured Butter for topping
- Heat oven to 425°F . Grease a 12-cup standard muffin tin
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine Kefir and remaining 1/2 cup cornmeal.
- On the stove, cook cornmeal mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens to be like batter, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk butter, then sugar, then Sour Cream (or Greek Yogurt) into cooked cornmeal until combined. The mixture should be cool enough that adding the eggs will not scramble them, but if it still seems too hot, let it cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs until combined. Fold in flour mixture until thoroughly combined and the batter is very thick.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups
- Bake until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 14 to 18 minutes. Let muffins cool in muffin tin on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and let cool 5 minutes longer.
- Serve warm with an extra slice of Lactose-Free Cultured Butter on top and enjoy!