Gingerbread is one of our favorite quintessential holiday treats. When you're not up for the whole house-decorating shebang, whip up a loaf of gingerbread cake instead, and smother it with cream cheese frosting. It will give you all the same holiday feels with a lot less effort. Eat it for dessert and again for breakfast.Green Valley Creamery
For The Cake
- 8 tablespoons Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz. (1 container) Green Valley Creamery Lactose-Free Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer). Beat for a few minutes until the sugar has been completely incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time and continue beating.
- Add the molasses and vanilla extract and beat to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and water.
- Alternate beating in the sour cream mixture and the flour mixture until fully incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let rest before removing from the loaf pan.
To make the frosting:
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar and salt into a small bowl.
- Using an electric mixer with beaters or a paddle attachment, combine the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla. Add the maple syrup.
- Beat for two minutes on medium speed until well combined and creamy. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Continue beating on low speed while gradually adding the confectioners’ sugar. Scrape the sides again, then continue to beat until creamy and smooth, about 1 to 2 more minutes.
- When the loaf cake has cooled, top with the cream cheese frosting. Serve and enjoy!